Man with Rhode Island ties assaults deputy, shot by Florida police
PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WLNE) — A Rhode Island man was shot by Florida police after deputies responded to a crime in progress.
The Broward County Sherriff’s Office says Joseph Francis brandished a weapon when approached, forcing officers to shoot.
Francis was struck once and police quickly secured the scene in Pomelo Beach.
Francis was later taken to a nearby hospital and remains in critical condition.
A good friend of Francis was interviewed by WPLG-10 who stated, “I saw Joe yesterday, Joe is an amazing boat mechanic, he has a great job, he makes good money.”
The friend said she could not think of a reason for Francis to have been involved in any crime.
That incident left him charged with the following:
- Felony Assault With a Deadly Weapon (2 Counts)
- Using a Firearm when Committing a Crime of Violence (2 Counts)
- License or Permit Required for carrying a Pistol
- Carrying of Weapon while Under the Influence of Liquor and/or Drugs
- Possession of a Controlled Substance Schedule I-V (Cocaine)
- Driving Under the Influence of Liquor and/or Drugs – 1st Offense – B.A.C. Unknown
- Refusal to Submit to a Chemical Test
- Weapons other than Firearms Prohibited
- Disorderly Conduct
- Possession of Marijuana.