Lincoln native dead in Oakland ‘Ghost Ship’ warehouse fire

Posted By: Nicole Cousins

To Nicole Siegrist, it was a creative art space.
The Oakland warehouse – known as the Ghost Ship – turned terrifying inferno claimed her life and the lives of 35 others last Friday night.
Siegrist – also known as Denalda Nicole Renae* on Facebook, or by her stage name VanFantom – was passionate about music.
Her friend Zac Woodside met her when they both lived in Lincoln.
"Nicole was a sweetheart, a free spirit that could wipe away the stress of daily life within moments of being in her company," Zac said in a statement to Channel 8 Eyewitness News. "Nicole was ambitious, never afraid to fail and the progression of her music over the years proves that."
While authorities haven’t determined Nicole’s cause of death, they say most victims died from smoke inhalation.
What sparked the blaze is still under investigation.
But many questions surround why people were living in a building that wasn’t zoned for residents.

"It would be another tragedy if we did not learn lessons and take this opportunity to make decisive and immediate steps to improve our systems and to make our residents safer," Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf said.
A district attorney for Alameda County says criminal charges ranging from involuntary manslaughter all the way to murder could be pressed in the tragic accident.
Officials say fire experts will be on the scene for several more days trying to determine what exactly caused this blaze.

Posted by: Fahima Paghmani

Officials with Alameda County Sheriff’s Office confirm that Nicole Siegrist died in the Oakland warehouse fire.

She also goes by the name of Denalda Nicole Renae.

Friends and family have been searching for Nicole, since they first heard about the news.

She was living in Oakland during the fire.

Her family has been notified about her passing.


Abc News: Oakland City officials also released records on the building’s reported complaints on Tuesday.

The most recent city record on the property dates from just days before the deadly fire. The November 14 notice shows an "investigation pending" for "illegal interior building structure," an apparent reference to the illegal living spaces constructed inside the warehouse.

Days prior to that, the building’s owner was notified of a code violation. The records say "a ton of garbage [is] piling up on the property," including "hazardous" trash.

Firefighters have searched about 90 percent of the building, according to Oakland Fire Battalion Chief Darin White. They will begin to take down the upper portions of the walls above the roof line, knocking those walls into areas of the building that have been declared safe and clear of bodies by searchers and cadaver dogs, said Oakland Fire Department Operations Chief Mark Hoffman. These are not areas where the fire is believed to have originated, Hoffman said.

An electrical fire broke out Friday night at the warehouse, nicknamed the Ghost Ship, during a concert party with as many as 100 people in attendance, authorities said.

Darin Ranelletti, the interim director of the city’s planning and building department, told the press that the party required a permit, which he said was not obtained.

Survivors of the inferno recalled waking up to a "wall of fire" and billowing smoke so powerful that it opened a window, letting in oxygen that apparently intensified the blaze.

Some victims texted messages to relatives such as "I’m going to die" and "I love you," according to Alameda County Sheriff’s Office spokesman Sgt. Ray Kelly.

Categories: News