Officer critically injured serving a warrant; both suspects captured

The 23-year Lincoln Police Officer veteran is fighting for his life in critical condition


Lincoln Police say the officer shot was a 23-year-veteran. He underwent surgery and is currently in critical condition.

Officers say the suspect, 17-year-old Felipe Vazquez, had an outstanding warrant for second-degree assault. The gang unit has been searching for Vazquez since Oct. 21 when they obtained the information he was in the area of 33rd and Vine street today.

When officers attempted to contact the suspect, were fired from inside the house. Two suspects began to flee from the area, one fled to the Hartley Elementary School playground and was apprehended. He was identified as Orion Ross.

Upon further investigation, Lincoln Police located the main suspect, Vazquez, taking him into custody without further incident.


We are waiting for a 3:30pm news conference to update the officer’s condition and get additional information.


Lincoln Police say no suspects were injured by gunfire. We still don’t have an update on the officer who was shot in the chest. Next media briefing is at 3:30pm. We will bring that to you live online and on air.

Wednesday 1:46 p.m.

An announcement was made at Hartley Elementary School saying everything is now safe.

Wednesday 1:32 p.m.

Lincoln Police have confirmed that two suspects were taken into custody without further incident.

Wednesday 1:29 p.m.

Our reporter on scene says police are leaving the area and reopening roads. The suspect has been identified as 17-year-old Felipe Vazquez, who was being served a warrant for second-degree assault in connection to the Edward Varejcka homicide in March.

LINCOLN, Neb. (KLKN) – Wednesday, Lincoln Police were called to the area of 33rd and Vine streets around noon. An officer was attempting to serve a warrant for second-degree assault. This officer was shot by the individual before fleeing the scene.

Currently, there is a large police presence in the area with assault rifles, as they search for the active gunman. Another individual was involved and fled to the Hartley Elementary School playground where they were arrested. The main suspect is still at large.

Residents are asked to shelter in place and avoid the area. Hartley Elementary School, near the area, is also on lockdown.

This is a developing story, we will continue to provide updates as they become available. 


Categories: Breaking News, Top Stories