Watch out for frozen pipes as temps drop
LINCOLN, Neb. (KLKN) — As the weather gets colder, Lincoln Water System (LWS) is reminding you to protect your pipes from freezing.
To avoid damage and costly repair bills, LWS recommends taking these precautions:
- Drain and winterize lawn irrigation systems.
- Remove hoses from exterior faucets.
- Make sure all areas with plumbing are heated.
- If pipes are concealed near exterior walls, open cabinet doors to allow in warmer air.
- Heat tape should be installed.
- Running a small amount of water from a kitchen or bathroom faucet for short intervals will usually keep pipes from freezing. About one cup of water every minute is recommended.
- Locate the water shut-off valve in advance to allow immediate access if there is a leak or break in the plumbing system.
For more information on frozen pipes, visit lincoln.ne.gov.