Busy Friday filled with smoke, heat and rain 7/30/2021
Your Friday is off to a hazy start due to wildfire smoke! The smoke has dropped visibility across Nebraska and also has reduced the air quality. Current temperatures are in the 70s with dry conditions in the southeast, but a few scattered thunderstorms in northeast Nebraska. A new Heat Advisory will go into effect at noon and will remain in effect through 9 PM tonight. This is because while highs will be a tad cooler today, we still will reach the 90s with heat index values in the low triple digits.
Our chance for rain in southeast Nebraska increases as we head into the afternoon. Scattered thunderstorms are likely through the afternoon and evening, with a few remaining storms likely overnight. Some of these storms could be on the strong to severe side.
The rain sticks around through Saturday morning before we start to dry out with cooler highs in the mid-80s through the weekend.
- TODAY: Slightly cooler, but still hot enough for a Heat Advisory (12PM-9PM). Smoke will result in hazy skies today and reduced air quality. Strong to severe storms will fire up this afternoon and stick around into overnight tonight. HIGH: 90
- SATURDAY: AM storms likely will cooler highs in the mid-80s. HIGH: 84
- SUNDAY: Mild for the first day of August with sunny skies. HIGH: 85
- MONDAY: Not as humid with highs still in the mid-80s. HIGH: 85
- TUESDAY: Still stuck in the mid-80s with dry conditions. HIGH: 85
Meteorologist Brittany Foster