Court Documents: Bush claims Sunday’s shooting was self-defense

Attempted Murder Web Mug

LINCOLN, Neb. (KLKN) — According to court documents, 18-year-old Tony Bush, arrested for shooting a man in his vehicle, is now claiming self-defense.

After turning himself in following the Sunday night shooting of 31-year-old Rafael Moreno, Bush told officers Moreno had previously threatened him with a handgun about a month prior. Bush then decided to purchase a handgun off the street for protection.

That Sunday, he recognized Moreno’s vehicle stopped near the intersection of 27th and Y Streets. Bush proceeded to pull up next to Moreno, where he claims the victim said ‘I got you now homie’. Moreno then reached down and produced a black handgun, but did not point it at him. According to court documents, Bush claims he ‘shot the victim once before he could be shot at’. He then hid his vehicle, a tan 2006 Mercedes, and disassembled the gun to conceal in an undisclosed lake.

RELATED CONTENT: LPD: Arrest made in Sunday night shooting

The shooting took place Sunday evening around 6 o’clock. Officers found Moreno in his vehicle unresponsive and covered in blood. He was taken to the hospital with life threatening injuries and remains in critical condition.

Bush was arrested around 10 o’clock Sunday night on the charges of attempted 2nd degree murder and use of a weapon to commit a felony, again after turning himself in.

Witness recountings and video evidence showed a vehicle pulled up alongside Moreno. The driver proceeded to shoot Moreno, then fled the scene.

Anyone with information pertaining to the incident should call Lincoln Police at 402-441-6000.

Categories: Lancaster