Electrical panel sparks house fire in northwest Lincoln

Shortly before 9 p.m. Wednesday, fire crews responded to a house fire in northwest Lincoln near West Holdrege and NW 40th Street.

Southwest Fire Chief Phillip Nalley said an electrical panel sparked the fire on the back of the house.

Lincoln Fire & Rescue,  Southwest Rural Fire & Rescue, Malcolm Fire & Rescue and the Nebraska Air National Guard were at the scene, battling the blaze.

“It did burn up into the upper second level.  This is an old house, probably balloon frame, which makes the fire travel that much faster when it gets in the wall,” said Fire Chief Nalley on why the fire engulfed the house so quickly.

Officials say the blaze spread from the kitchen to the second floor of the home and up into the attic.

The damage is estimated at $70,000.

Categories: Top Stories