Four chickens die in Lincoln fire

Chicken Farm

LINCOLN, Neb. (KLKN) — Four chickens died in a fire in Lincoln on Christmas Eve, authorities say.

Lincoln Fire & Rescue responded to a report of a detached garage fire about 7 a.m. Saturday.

Crews arrived to find the back of the garage on fire and put it out.

The owner of the property near 40th and Calvert Streets put a heat lamp in his small chicken coop due to the extreme cold, and it caught fire, according to LFR Inspector Damon Robins.

Authorities estimate that the fire caused about $20,000 in damage to the garage.

It is unknown how many chickens were in the coop.

Categories: Lancaster, News