WATCH: Gas leak leads to tower of flames in Kearney parking lot

LINCOLN, Neb. (KLKN) — The Kearney Volunteer Fire Department was called to a gas leak at an Ace Hardware on Wednesday night that ended with an intense tower of flames.

Officials say they were unable to isolate the leak and determined the best action would be to burn the propane tank’s contents.

This all began at 6 p.m. and was considered under control around 9:30.

The department says it used new flaring equipment to safely get rid of the gas.

Officials say they “appreciate the support we get from our City and Suburban boards that ensure we have the tools and equipment we need to mitigate all hazards we may encounter.”

KVFD also encouraged future firefighters to fill out an application to join its ranks.

Categories: Nebraska News, News, Top Stories