Improperly discarded fireworks catch southeast Lincoln home on fire

Lincoln Fire And Rescue

LINCOLN, Neb. (KLKN) – A southeast Lincoln home caught fire when fireworks were improperly disposed of after a Fourth of July celebration, Lincoln Police say.

Around 12:09 a.m. on Tuesday morning, officers and Lincoln Fire & Rescue crews were called to a home just south of Old Cheney Road on 81st Street.

Neighbors noticed a fire burning on the corner of the home and began pounding on the door to wake the residents.

Lincoln Police Sgt. Chris Vollmer said that despite the estimated $170,000 damage to the home, no one was harmed in the fire.

Fire inspector Hasenjaeger identified the cause of the fire as improperly disposed of fireworks near the home.

According to LFR’s public information officer, Nancy Crist, there were no house fires in 2021 as a result of fireworks.

Categories: Lancaster, News, Top Stories