Lincoln officials close several city services ahead of potential blizzard
LINCOLN, Neb. (KLKN) – Some city services will be closed on Thursday, while others will have rescheduled hours due to potential blizzard conditions.
The City of Lincoln announced the following changes:
- Aging Partners – Aging Partners Senior Centers in Lincoln and Lancaster County and the Fitness Center at 555 S. Ninth St. will be closed Thursday and Friday. Aging Partners offices will be open both days. The Downtown Senior Center, 1005 O St., will remain open both days from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. for older adults needing to escape the cold temperatures. No meals are planned at the centers those two days.
- Parks and Recreation – Following the lead of Lincoln Public Schools, Calvert Preschool, Nature Center Preschool and Adaptive Recreation Adult Day Structure will be closed Wednesday and Thursday. Recreation centers will be closed Thursday and Friday. Due to predicted high winds and possible drifting snow, staff may not start clearing trails until the snow and wind have stopped. Staff plan to have trails cleared by 9 a.m. the day after the storm.
- Lincoln City Libraries – All branches will be closed Thursday. The Williams Branch will be closed during the LPS weather-related closure only. The Bookmobile will be off the road Wednesday through Saturday. All items due back to the Bookmobile will be renewed, and customers are welcome to keep their items until the next scheduled visit. For the latest updates, visit lincolnlibraries.org.
- Lincoln-Lancaster County Health Department Health Clinic – Clinics on Thursday are scheduled from 5 to 7 p.m. The department will reassess weather conditions on Thursday morning and contact clients to reschedule appointments if needed.
- LLCHD Dental Clinic – The dental clinic is canceled on Thursday evening. All clients have been rescheduled for earlier in the day on Thursday or another day of their choice.
- Women, Infants and Children program – The north office, 2662 Cornhusker Hwy., Suite 7, will remain open until 6:30 p.m. on Wednesday, but all appointments scheduled will be completed by phone calls to clients. The north office will be closed on Thursday, with all WIC staff working from the main office, 3131 O St., completing appointments by phone during regular office hours. The Thursday evening clinic at the main office is canceled, with all appointments rescheduled for a time of the client’s choice.
Officials also reminded StarTran users to dress appropriately for the weather and plan for potential route delays.
To keep up with the latest weather news, click HERE.