Man taken to hospital after gas leak at south Lincoln home

Lincoln Fire & Rescue, Lincoln Police and Black Hills Energy all responded to the home at 50th and South St. around 8 a.m. 
Hazmat Web2

Authorities say a man was taken to the hospital after being pulled from a south Lincoln home that had a gas leak Friday morning.

Lincoln Fire & Rescue, Lincoln Police and Black Hills Energy all responded to the home at 50th and South St. around 8 a.m.

Battalion Chief Jim Bopp told Channel 8 Eyewitness News the man was taken into the backyard before being transported to the hospital. His condition is unknown at this time.

Bopp said the stove was left on and gas levels inside the home were approaching a dangerous threshold.

“When we finally got someone inside with a monitor we had 6% of the LEL – which is lower explosive limit – that’s real close to our action level,” he said. “If it gets to 10%, we back out unless there’s an immediate rescue necessary… and then we vent the building. SO we were close to that level in that one particular apartment.

Crews remained on the scene for more than an hour.

 

 

 

 

 

Categories: News