Multiple 4th of July events canceled in Chicago after shooting at parade

Police tape with flashing lights

LINCOLN, Neb. (KLKN) – Multiple people were shot along a parade route in north Chicago on Monday morning, sources for ABC said.

The shooter was reported to still be active just after 11 a.m.  Illinois State Police are still considering the shooting an “active shoot situation” as of 11:25.

Sources said the person could be shooting from atop a high building.

A Chicago Sun-Times reporter saw five people wounded and blankets covering three bloodied bodies near the parade’s reviewing stand.  Several witnesses said they heard multiple shots fired.  One witness said he counted more than 20 shots.

Police were telling people: “Everybody disperse, please. It is not safe to be here.”

The parade route was near Highland Park which is near Lake Michigan.

Highland Park officials asked residents to avoid the city’s downtown area Monday morning as police respond “to an incident.”

The city of Highland Park provided very little information on the incident in a Facebook post just before 10:45 a.m., only saying the city’s Fourth Fest had been canceled.

The village of Deerfield tweeted at 10:50 a.m. that there had been a shooting in Highland Park, and Deerfield’s Family Days at Jewett Park was canceled.

U.S. Rep. Brad Schneider said he and his campaign team were gathering at the start of the parade when the shooting began.

“My team and I are safe and secure,” he said. “Hearing of loss of life and others injured. My condolences to the family and loved ones; my prayers for the injured and for my community; and my commitment to do everything I can to make our children, our towns, our nation safer. Enough is enough!”

Categories: Breaking News, News, Top Stories, US & World