National Guard members who assisted with protests in Lincoln test positive for COVID-19

Two members of the Nebraska National Guard who assisted law enforcement during protests and riots in Lincoln last week have tested positive for COVID-19. 

Two members of the Nebraska National Guard who assisted law enforcement during protests and riots in Lincoln last week have tested positive for COVID-19.

It’s not clear whether the two people contracted the virus before or after they were deployed to Lincoln, Maj. Scott Ingalsbe, public affairs officer for the Guard, told Channel 8 Eyewitness News.

The two guard members are isolating, and the other 47 members of their unit are in self-quarantine as well, Ingalsbe said.

Of the 600 guard members deployed to help cities during the protests, about two thirds remain active. They will begin to “out process” and return home Tuesday, Ingalsbe said. All of them will be tested for COVID-19.

Bryan Health officials said Monday morning it’s too soon to tell whether there may be an increase in cases following a week of protests over the death of George Floyd.

 

Categories: Coronavirus, News