Nebraska gets $65 million in opioid settlement with CVS, Walgreens and drugmakers

Courtesy: MGN

LINCOLN, Neb. (KLKN) — A multistate effort to prevent opioid abuse has resulted in a huge payout for recovery programs and Nebraska.

Nebraska Attorney General Mike Hilgers announced Friday that Nebraska is entitled to more than $65 million in a recent settlement.

Four companies — Teva, Allergan, CVS and Walgreens — agreed to pay $17.3 billion in settlements for their roles in the opioid crisis.

Under the agreement, Teva won’t be able to market opioids, and the drugmaker will need to enact policies to prevent drug misuse.

The agreement also prevents Allergan from selling opioids through the next decade.

CVS and Walgreens agreed to monitor, report and share data about suspicious activity tied to opioid prescriptions.

SEE ALSO: CVS, Walgreens announce opioid settlements totaling $10B

Nebraska is entitled more than $65.6 million in the agreement. Those funds will be received over the next 15 years beginning sometime later this year.

Of those funds, 85% will be distributed to the Nebraska Opioid Recovery Fund. The other 15% will be sent to cities and counties.

Last year, Walmart agreed to pay more than $3 billion for its role in the opioid crisis.

Hilgers said that agreement has not been finalized but is expected to be made in the coming weeks.

Categories: Health, Money, Nebraska News, News