Nebraska Gov. Ricketts ‘condemns’ Herbster’s alleged sexual misconduct

Nebraska's female senators and gubernatorial candidate Jim Pillen also released statements

LINCOLN, Neb. (KLKN) – Gov. Pete Ricketts released a statement Thursday in response to news of gubernatorial candidate Charles Herbter’s alleged sexual misconduct.

“This is beyond horrible.  Charles W. Herbster should beg forgiveness of the women he has preyed upon and seek treatment.  Sexual assault is criminal behavior and should disqualify anyone from elected leadership.  I encourage my fellow Nebraskans to respect, support, and stand with these survivors, who had the courage to tell the truth about what happened to them.  These brave women have Susanne’s and my full support.”

Earlier today, the Nebraska Examiner reported that Sen. Julie Slama and seven other women accused Herbster of groping them.

Herbster has since then denied the allegations.  In a statement issued Wednesday night, Herbster’s campaign manager Ellen Keast said, “this is a political hit-piece built on 100% false and baseless claims.” Keast blamed the “political establishment” for “smearing and trying to destroy him with lies.”

Herbster released another statement on Thursday saying the claims are “100% false.”

“These libelous accusations are 100% false. For over thirty years, I’ve employed hundreds of people. I’ve respected and empowered women to run my company, my farm and now my campaign. Not once has my integrity ever been challenged in this manner. It’s only after I’ve threatened the stranglehold the establishment has on this state do they stoop to lies this large. This story is a ridiculous, unfounded dirty political trick being carried out by Pete Ricketts and Jim Pillen. 

For nearly a year now, Governor Ricketts and Jim Pillen’s campaign team have peddled this made-up story from one news outlet to another without any success. Now, with time running out, they’ve turned to a leftists news site to pick up and repeat their garbage. The fake-news story is based upon shadowy, unnamed sources and one person who was appointed by Governor Ricketts and her family has benefited from Governor Ricketts’ patronage for years. This isn’t bad journalism – it’s libelous fake news.” 

Nebraska’s female senators also released a joint statement regarding allegations made against Herbster.

“We commend the brave women who have stepped forward to tell the truth about what they endured at the hands of Charles Herbster, including our friend and colleague, Senator Julie Slama. Sexual assault is despicable and damaging. This is not a question of politics—it is an issue of character and basic human decency. Charles Herbster’s behavior is completely unacceptable for anyone, especially someone seeking a public office of authority and trust. Herbster’s actions as outlined by the Nebraska Examiner render him unfit to serve.”

Gubernatorial candidate Jim Pillen released a statement regarding the allegations on Twitter.

“All Nebraskans are called to be examples to our families, and Nebraska leaders are called to be examples to our families, communities, and the state of Nebraska,” Pillen said. “Sexually assaulting women should be disqualifying for anyone seeking to serve as a leader. Suzanne and I are praying for the women targeted by Charles W. Herbster.” 

Categories: Nebraska News, News, Top Stories