Nebraska reports cluster of salmonella infections linked to alfalfa sprouts

Alfalfa Sprouts G92026bf03 1920

LINCOLN, Neb. (KLKN) — Twelve people in Nebraska have suffered gastrointestinal problems after eating alfalfa sprouts, health officials said Friday.

The illnesses were caused by the bacteria salmonella typhimurium, according to the Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services.

The sickened people ate the sprouts from Dec. 4 to 15. Some ate them at local restaurants, and others bought them in grocery, the health department said.

DHHS did not say where in Nebraska the cases occurred but did say that three local health departments are part of the investigation: the Douglas County Health Department, the Sarpy/Cass Health Department and the Three Rivers Public Health Department. The Three Rivers department serves Dodge, Saunders and Washington Counties.

Health officials recommend that you abstain from alfalfa sprouts for now.

If you get diarrhea after eating alfalfa sprouts, contact your local health department and call your doctor if needed.

People typically recover from salmonella infection in four to seven days without antibiotics, according to DHHS. Those have a weak immune system, and people who are older than 65 or younger than 1, are at risk for severe infection.

For more information on salmonella, visit the CDC’s website.

Categories: Health, Nebraska News, News