Rest of season canceled for Lincoln Northwest varsity football
LINCOLN, Neb. (KLKN) — The rest of the Northwest High School varsity football season has been canceled.
The Athletic and Activities Department of Lincoln Public Schools announced the news Friday night.
“We understand there may be disappointment behind this decision,” Athletic Director JJ Toczek said in a press release. “The Falcons have experienced a number of injuries and we are unsure about timelines for when students will be able to return. Therefore, out of an abundance of caution and with student safety as our focus, we’ve decided to forfeit the remainder of the Northwest varsity football games.”
Of about 75 students on the team, 15 are currently out with various illnesses and injuries.
Of the 60 remaining, more than half are freshmen.
The team was so depleted that earlier this week, the school announced that it would forfeit Friday’s game against Beatrice.
LPS said only a few Northwest players have varsity experience
The freshmen, reserve and junior varsity squads will still compete this fall.