Saturday marks first day to apply for Medicaid expansion in Nebraska
August 1st is the first day Nebraskans can apply and receive benefits as early as October 1st.
Heritage Health Adult, or more commonly known as Medicaid Expansion, is on track for implementation on Oct. 1
· Applications will be received starting August 1, 2020, with benefits beginning October 1, 2020
Overview and Eligibility
· Nebraskan’s voted to pass Initiative 427, which expanded the Medicaid program to Nebraskans to those whose income is at or below the 138% of the federal poverty level.
· DHHS is estimating about 90,000 people will be newly eligible under this guideline, which in 2020, this is an annual income of $17,609 for a single person and $36,156 for a household of four.
· The newly eligible group are those ages 19-64. Most in this new group will receive basic benefits, which is a comprehensive and robust package of physical health, behavioral health, and prescription drugs coverage, comparable to employer-provided insurance. Those within this new group who are ages 19-20, pregnant, or determined to be medically frail will receive Prime benefits, which include dental and vision services, and over the counter medications.
Nebraska Medicaid/Heritage Health Adult will begin taking applications August 1 for newly eligible Nebraskans, with the actual benefits starting October 1, 2020.
Beginning August 1, 2020, applications can be submitted in the following ways:
· Online at www.ACCESSNebraska.ne.gov,
· Over the phone by calling ACCESS Nebraska at:
o Toll Free: (855) 632-7633
o TDD: (402) 471-7256,
· By paper application (which may be downloaded from AccessNebraska.gov):
o By fax at (402) 742-2351, or by email at DHHS.ANDICenter@nebraska.gov,
o By mail at P.O. Box 2992, Omaha, NE 68103-2992, or
· In person at a DHHS local office.