State officials break ground on Eastern Nebraska Veterans’ Home expansion

The expansion will add around 25,000 square feet to the facility and 24 private assisted living beds. 
Untitled Design 77
Courtesy Nebraska Department of Veterans’ Affairs

LINCOLN, Neb. (KLKN) – State officials and veterans broke ground Tuesday on the Eastern Nebraska Veterans’ Home expansion in Bellevue.

“We’ve expanded the Eastern Nebraska Veterans’ Home and added new services there for veterans and their families,” Gov. Pete Ricketts said. “This is progress toward our goal of making Nebraska the best state in America for veterans. Thank you to the Nebraska Department of Veterans’ Affairs for continuously finding ways to better serve our nation’s heroes.”

Right now, ENVH is just over 120,000 square feet with 120 beds.  The expansion will add around 25,000 square feet to the facility and 24 new private assisted living beds.

“Adult day health care will allow us to serve veterans who are at a stage between independent living and the need for assisted living care, as well as provide a mini respite for the caregivers they may have,” said NDVA Director John Hilgert. “We hope to take lessons learned from this program and expand it to our other homes in the state.”

The $9.4 million expansion is scheduled to be finished by summer 2023.

The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs is providing a grant to pay for 65% of the expansion costs.  The other 35% came from funds allocated by the Nebraska Legislature in 2019 at the request of Ricketts.

NDVA operates veterans’ homes in Bellevue, Norfolk, Kearney and Scottsbluff.

Categories: Nebraska News, News