Staff member taken to hospital after strong odor prompts evacuation at Lincoln elementary school

Lincoln Public School officials say a staff member was transported to the hospital after a suspected gas leak at a Lincoln elementary school Thursday morning. 

Crews responded to  at Humann Elementary School around 8:20 a.m. 

Per school policy, the school was evacuated immediately. 

Officials on scene told Channel 8 Eyewitness News one adult, a cafeteria worker, and two children were taken to the hospital as a result of the leak. 

LPS officials later clarified that the two students were treated outside the school for medical issues they do not believe were related to the odor.

The odor was tracked to a sewer pipe, and an investigation by Black Hills Energy confirmed there was no natural gas leak. 

The staff member and students are all expected to be OK. 

School officials say the issue has been resolved and the school is operating normally. 

Categories: Top Stories