Tips from LFR, Black Hills on heating your home safely and efficiently
LINCOLN, Neb. (KLKN) – When brutal cold weather comes, there also comes a risk of fires, especially when people use alternative heat sources like space heaters.
“People, if they are going to use an alternative, you know, source of heat, being a space heater or whatnot, … plug in directly into the wall,” LFR Capt. Chad Roof said. “We discourage use of extension cords when we’re using those space heaters because they draw a lot of current and they tend to short out. And that causes a lot of problems.”
He said space heaters need a 3-5-foot radius clear of any flammable material like blankets, clothing and furniture.
Roof said to also never put kerosene or propane heaters inside your home.
They need to stay outside for ventilation.
Having them inside your home not only is a fire hazard, but also poses a carbon monoxide risk.
He also stressed the importance of having working CO detectors on every floor of your home.
Black Hills Energy also has tips for consumers to keep their homes warm, while also saving some money.
Brandy Johnson, regional community affairs manager for Black Hills, recommends setting the thermostat to 68 degrees to save money.
It’s also a good idea to run a humidifier because a humidified home at 68 will feel as comfortable as a dry home set at 75, she said.
Johnson also explained what to do before the storm to make sure your furnace works.
“Make sure you’ve got a good furnace filter, make sure that it’s clean, make sure it’s installed correctly,” And, you know, take steps to make sure your heating equipment is working properly. Make sure your vents are clear and free from any obstructions inside your house.”
Black Hills said it has employees working 24/7 to make sure people have a heated home. If you have any problems, the utility says to call anytime so someone can look into it.