WATCH: Waverly family hopes to educate after fiery accident

A Sunday tradition of grilling out with the family quickly turned south as flames were shooting from the grill.
Fire

LINCOLN, Neb. (KLKN) –A Sunday tradition of grilling out with the family quickly turned south as flames were shooting from the grill. A faulty regulator caused a fireball right in the Erickson family driveway.

Within a matter of seconds, Clint Erickson moved the grill out of the way and ran to get the fire extinguisher. Something Angela Erickson said prevented things from escalating.

“I’ve seen a lot of stories in the news lately of fires, and you don’t really, I guess apply it to yourself. You don’t really think about it,” Angela said.

The Waverly family is now using the terrifying moment to shed light on the importance of knowing where the closest fire extinguisher is.

“I didn’t even know where our fire extinguisher was. As the video shows, it can escalate very quickly. There was little time to really ponder and think about what to do or to look for a fire extinguisher. I’m very thankful that Clint knew where it was. He didn’t panic,” Angela said.

Clint wasn’t injured in the accident and Angela said she’s thankful he was able to think on his feet and get the grill away from the house before something more serious happened.

Categories: Nebraska News, News