Wintry mix to start off the new work week; accumulation expected for some 11/1/2021
A wintry mix and rain showers are currently pushing through southeast NE this morning. The Tri-Cities are already dealing with accumulating snow, while areas around Lincoln are just soggy from rain. Use extra caution if you plan on driving westbound on I-80 as roads will start to get slippery. Temperatures are in the 30s and 40s this morning, so make sure to bundle up before you head outside. Send the kids off to the bus stop with their warm rain gear in order to keep them dry as well! Light showers and a wintry mix to the west will continue to fall into the early afternoon hours. I think Lincoln will likely still see a few snowflakes during this time, but mainly rain throughout the day. As we head further into the afternoon highs will reach the low 40s, the sprinkles and showers will gradually weaken and this will continue into overnight tonight.
In terms of snow totals, those in central NE who receive snow today will likely see close to an inch with some places a little bit over that. Southeast NE will NOT see really any snow accumulation today as we are warmer. But you might see some flakes sticking to grassy or elevated surfaces.
Temperatures drop below the freezing mark tonight with lows in upper 20s. Any snow that falls will quickly melt come tomorrow as highs return to the 40s.
- TODAY: Winter mix near the Tri-Cities with light rain showers and the occasional flurry for the rest of southeast NE all day. Around an inch of snow is likely for the Tri-Cities and potentially a trace for the rest of the area. Highs will only be in the low 40s today, so bundle up! HIGH: 42
- TUESDAY: A tad warmer and dry with highs in the upper 40s. HIGH: 47
- WEDNESDAY: Mostly cloudy skies with highs in the mid-40s. HIGH: 45
- THURSDAY: Mostly sunny skies with highs in the upper 40s and low 50s. HIGH: 49
- FRIDAY: Closer to average with highs back in the low 50s. Breezy winds expected all day. HIGH: 52
MONDAY HOURLY UPDATES
5 AM UPDATE:
Grand Island is starting to see minor accumulation on grassy and elevated surfaces. Areas around Lincoln are currently seeing sprinkles and light showers reach the surface.
Snow is still accumulating around the Tri-Cities while Lincoln remains on the soggy side from rain.
7 AM UPDATE:
10 AM UPDATE: Nearly all major roads in Nebraska are currently clear.
Meteorologist Brittany Foster