A fire at Union College shocks students and staff

A fire broke out today at Union College in Lincoln. While it was minor, it left some baffled at the scene.
Fire At Union College

 

(LINCOLN, Neb.)- A fire broke out today at Union College in Lincoln. While it was minor, it left some baffled at the scene.
Channel 8 talked to staff and students who were shocked to find the fire department on campus Saturday afternoon.
“We’re sitting there listening to the message and we hear the sirens go by,” said Tobias Novac, a student who attended a church service on campus.
Chief Brian Giles says Lincoln Fire and Rescue responded to multiple calls of a roof on fire near South 48th and Prescott Ave.

He adds firefighters controlled the flames in a quick amount of time and so far has seen no damages inside. Students who were at church described the sight as service ended.
“Everybody’s like congregated outside of the doors and there’s all these fire trucks and we see them hosing down the south corner,” says Caitlynn Davis, a student.
A student worker hopes the building is okay as it holds a lot of equipment.
“So there’s all sorts of computers downstairs and upstairs for the students to use,” says Joseph Lee. “I think it was my boss’s office is the corner that got the worst of it. So we’ll see if I’m going to work on Monday.”
Union College PR, Ryan Teller, says classes won’t be affected because none take place in that building but some staff and students work there on weekdays and he was glad no one was inside at the time.
“We don’t know a whole lot yet, but the fire departments still trying to figure out what caused it,” said Teller. “But it appears that it was mostly on the roof and if that’s the case well be thankful but we haven’t been able to get inside yet.”
Students and staff tell Channel 8 they are happy no one was inside and are praying for minimal damages to the historical building.

Categories: Education News, News