Space heater sparks fire in home with no smoke detectors

Lincoln Fire & Rescue were called to a fire at a duplex in northwest Lincoln near N. 23 & Y Street shortly after 11:00 Monday night.

Six people lived in the duplex, they all got out safely despite the home not having smoke detectors.

According to Battalion Chief Jeremy Gegg, the residents reported a suitcase in the basement had caught on fire.

Fire investigator Rick Campos discovered the suitcase caught fire because it was too close to a space heater, Lincoln Fire and Rescue Public Information Officer Nancy Crist said. 

Crist said the home didn’t have a working furnace. 

The fire in the basement spread to the first floor. Crist said it took LFR about 30 minutes to put out all of the fire and hot spots.

LFR says the home is currently unlivable, and damages amount to about $30,000 with lost items also adding up to $30,000.

Crist said this is the third fire in a week where the home didn’t have smoke detectors. 

“There were six occupants in the home and luckily they all were evacuated with Lincoln Fire arrived but we have to think this could have been a different outcome,” Crist said. 

Crist said the fire department will give residents smoke detectors and install them for free if requested. You can call the fire station closest to you or visit their website: http://lincoln.ne.gov/city/fire/index.htm.

 

 

 

Categories: Top Stories