Proposed program would dedicate $20M to fix Rhode Island roads

NORTH PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WLNE) — Rhode Island Gov. Dan McKee and state leaders spoke on the proposed Municipal Road Fund Program on Monday morning.

The grant program, slated in McKee’s Fiscal Year 2024 budget, would dedicate $20 million to roads, bridges, and sidewalks on city and town roads.

Out of the $20 million, $15 million will be divided equally among each city and town. The remaining $5 million will be given to surrounding municipalities.

“As the State works to repair roads and bridges to improve Rhode Island’s national infrastructure rankings, we want to provide support to our municipalities to do the same. This must be a team effort if we want to get results – the RI Ready Municipal Road Fund Program can help us get it done,” McKee said.

The program would cover 67% of the project costs and the state would match the remaining 33%.

Rhode Island drivers were elated to hear about the initiative across the state.

“It’s a band aid on something that needs surgery,” said Ray, a Swansea native who commutes through Rhode Island. “Somebody born today is not going to be able to live a really great life with $20 million… it’s a start.”

All projects under the program must be completed by the end of 2026.

Categories: National and World News