‘Much uncertainty remains’: Big Ten Commissioner sends letter to athletic directors

01214e00 Hxweq

On Thursday, Big Ten Commissioner Kevin Warren and Dr. Chris Kratochvil with the Big Ten Task Force for Emerging Infectious Disease, sent a letter to Athletic Directors in the conference to share their perspectives on the pandemic.

It says as the Big Ten Conference moves closer to it’s scheduled start dates, ‘much uncertainty remains surrounding the COVID-19 virus’. The health and safety of all parties involved in the conference remains their primary focus. They do remain ‘hopeful’ competitions will resume this fall, but with altered operation to follow the guidelines of the CDC and local health departments.

However, if officials determine it is ‘not prudent’ to compete this fall, they may still cancel or postpone upcoming events.

As for preseason camp, Warren and Dr. Kratochvil plan to make an official decision about preseason camp within the next five days. But, it all depends on testing as they ‘will not, and cannot’ proceed with the camp until they are certain it can be done safely.

Additionally, during the week of Aug. 3, the Big Ten Conference medial policies and protocols will be released. This includes medical standardized testing requirements.

As the beginning of the fall 2020 season approaches, we will continue to gather additional information, evaluate emerging data and technologies, and seek to implement the highest standards of testing and other safety measures.

Athletes do have the option to opt-out of participation due to coronavirus concerns. Those receiving scholarships, who do opt-out, will still have their scholarships honored.

Fall schedules will remain fluid, but majority of the updates will be release the Conference-only schedule this August.

Categories: Husker Sports, Sports