Nebraska Game and Parks warns about ticks that can make you allergic to meat

A woman says she ended up in an emergency room after eating a roast beef sandwich

LINCOLN, Neb. (KLKN) — The Nebraska Game and Parks Commission is sharing a PSA from a woman who says she developed an allergy to meat, from a bug bite.

The avid hunter says she ended up in an emergency room after eating a roast beef sandwich, and now wants to raise awareness so others can protect themselves.

Lone star ticks used to be limited to southeastern states, but they’ve since spread all the way here to Nebraska.

You’ll be able to identify them by checking for a distinctive white dot on their back.

Once they bite, you can develop an allergy to alpha-gal in one to three months.

That’s a sugar found in red meat, which will make you sick when eating it.

To protect yourself, you can purchase tick repellant or even get your outdoor gear treated professionally.

It’s also important to do tick checks when returning from activities, and don’t skip your pets either!

Categories: Health, Lancaster, Nebraska News, News, Top Stories