UPDATE: Suspect in NYC subway shooting arrested
"We got him," said New York City Mayor Eric Adams
LINCOLN, Neb. (KLKN) – UPDATE: Frank James, the suspect in Tuesday morning’s shooting was arrested Wednesday afternoon after NYPD received a tip that he was in East Village.
Officers did not find James in the McDonald’s at East Village where he was originally reported to be. While searching the area, police found him two blocks away where he was taken into custody without incident around 1:45 p.m. EST, police said.
James is being housed in an NYPD facility, police still do not yet know the motivation behind the planned shooting.
New York City police continue their hunt for the suspect identified in Tuesday morning’s shooting on a rush-hour subway in Brooklyn.
Frank R. James, 62, was previously identified by police as “a person of interest in this investigation” and is now the suspect in the shooting; there’s a $50,000 reward for information leading to his whereabouts.
Possessions recovered from the shooting include the key to a U-Haul van and a credit used to rent the U-Haul. James had rented the same van in Philadelphia, according to police.
Senior law enforcement officials say they have uncovered a number of social media posts and videos tied to James and are studying them closely to see if they are relevant to the subway attack. In one video posted to YouTube prior to Tuesday’s shooting, James says: “I am 62 now, full of hate, full of anger, full of bitterness.” In another, posted just hours before the attack, James appears to be driving a truck as he says: “I am driving, I am driving, I am driving because I started my trip early.”
The shooting unfolded on a Manhattan-bound N subway car during Tuesday morning rush hour, just before 8:30 am EST. As the train approached the 36th street subway station in Brooklyn’s Sunset Park neighborhood, according to the New York City Police Department.
“At this time, based on the preliminary investigation, we believe he was alone,” New York City Mayor Eric Adams told ABC News in an interview Wednesday.
A man, who was seen mumbling to himself on the train, donned a gas mask and detonated a smoke canister commonly bought online before pulling out a .38-caliber handgun and opening fire, police say.
He fired a barrage of at least 33 bullets, shooting 10 people, according to police. The gun jammed during the incident, which is believed to have saved lives, a law enforcement official told ABC News.
Other items discovered at the scene of the shooting include the Glock 9 mm semi-automatic handgun used in the attack, three extended magazines, a hatchet, gasoline, four smoke grenades, and a bag of consumer-grade fireworks. The gun was not stolen, according to police. Investigators are sifting through evidence looking for any possible fingerprints on the gun and the other recovered items.
A total of 29 people were transported from the scene to local hospitals with various injuries. Five of the gunshot victims were critically injured and have since stabilized, according to officials. As of Wednesday morning, just four of the wounded remain hospitalized.
“At this time, we still do not know the suspect’s motivation,” New York City Police Commissioner Keechant Sewell said at a press conference Tuesday evening. “Clearly this individual boarded the train and was intent on violence.”
None of the surveillance cameras inside the 36th Street subway station were working at the time of Tuesday’s shooting, a police official told ABC News. The cameras, which are aimed at the turnstiles, didn’t transmit in real-time due to a glitch computer malfunction, a source said. The same glitch impacted cameras at the stops before and after 36th Street. Investigators are looking into how the malfunction happened.