Officials identify victims of Columbus house fire that killed 4

Authorities have identified two of the four people who died in a house fire in Columbus over the weekend. 

LINCOLN, Neb. (KLKN) – Authorities have identified two of the four people who died in a house fire in Columbus over the weekend.

The Nebraska State Fire Marshal’s Office says 27-year-old Lars Barcel and 28-year-old Janelle Miller and two children were taken to a local hospital where they were pronounced dead. The children were not identified.

Lars Barcel

Courtesy: Gass Haney Funeral Home

Janelle Miller

Courtesy: Gass Haney Funeral Home

Officials say preliminary autopsy results indicate the cause of death was smoke inhalation related to the fire.

The fire broke out around 5:40 a.m. Saturday at the home on 20th Ave.

Firefighters arrived to find heavy smoke coming from the home and an active fire inside the living room.

Investigators believe the fire started after an ember from a wood-burning fireplace ignited nearby combustible materials.

Officials say there were smoke detectors in the home but the batteries in them were not connected.

Funeral arrangements are set through Gass Haney Funeral Home.

For information on Janelle’s funeral CLICK HERE

For information on Lars’ funeral CLICK HERE

ICYMI: SEWARD FAMILY LOSES EVERYTHING IN HOUSE FIRE

 

Categories: Nebraska News, Top Stories