Omaha zoo employee sent to hospital after being stung by stingray
LINCOLN, Neb. (KLKN) – An employee at Omaha’s Henry Doorly Zoo & Aquarium was sent to the hospital Friday after an encounter with a freshwater stingray.
The employee was injured while working in the Lied Jungle, the zoo said in a statement.
Officials said the employee was wearing protective rubber boots, but the stingray’s barb went through the material.
Four zoo EMTs began immediate treatment before the staff member was taken to a local hospital.
Officials say a sting by a freshwater stingray is painful but not life-threatening.
But it does warrant precautions against infection or allergic reaction, according to the zoo.
Officials said there will now be a review of the area to ensure best safety practices.
“Our number one concern was the immediate care of our staff member,” Dr. Luis Padilla, president and CEO of the zoo, said in a release. “The health and safety of our staff, guests and animals is of the utmost priority to Omaha’s Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium.”