Historic home that once housed nurses to be moved for hospital expansion

Historic Home

LINCOLN, Neb. (KLKN) – Construction is well underway at Bryan Hospital’s East Campus, as the hospital makes way for an expansion of their emergency department, ICU and more.

But before the project can be completed, a historic home called the Fairview Home, stands in their way.

The three-story brick building, once called the William Jennings Bryan home, was a nurse’s dormitory.

Two retired nurses who once lived in the house spoke with Channel 8 on Tuesday about their reaction to the news that the house will be moved to a new location for the project.

“Well, it’s Bryan. It belongs there, it’s been there for years and years and years. Without that house, we wouldn’t have our hospital. It should stay where it was,” said Joyce LeMaster.

“I understand why a hospital would want to move this, because it’s totally probably in their way if they’re going to expand their emergency room but it kind of hurt just a little bit just to read about it in the paper,” said Virginia Von Seggern.

Both LeMaster and Von Seggern once lived in the home back in the late 1950’s and early 1960’s while completing their nursing degrees.

Bryan Health says the home was donated by William Jennings Bryan, a politician and businessman who ran for president three times.

The home and surrounding area later became the start of Bryan Memorial Hospital, and the old nurse’s dorm becoming a museum called the Fairview House.

Earlier this year, hospital leaders appeared before the Lincoln Historic Preservation Commission to have the home moved to a new location.

A spokesperson for Bryan Hospital, submitted the following statement to Channel 8.

Plans to move the Fairview home at Bryan East Campus are moving forward as anticipated. We look forward to sharing more information in the coming weeks and months.”

Von Seggern and LeMaster say they have one message to those in charge of the project, before the historic landmark is moved.

“Despite them breaking our hearts, it’s going to happen,” said LeMaster.

“As long as the house remains the way it is now. I would love to see it remain the way it is now.”

Seggern adding, “It would be nice to have a nice open house, open to the public, about just exactly what kind of a home this is.”

As per the city website, another Historic Preservation Commission meeting is slated to happen on Sept. 10.

Categories: Lancaster, Nebraska News, News, Top Stories