Buffalo County becomes 51st Livestock Friendly County

Gov. Ricketts made the announcement at the 2021 Nebraska Cattlemen Annual Convention in Kearney.
Untitled Design 27
Photo courtesy of Governor Pete Rickett's Office

LINCOLN, Neb. (KLKN) – Nebraska Governor Pete Ricketts named Buffalo County as the 51st Livestock Friendly County (LFC) on Thursday.

Ricketts made the announcement at the 2021 Nebraska Cattlemen Annual Convention in Kearney. The Nebraska Department of Agriculture (NDA) manages the LFC program.

“By requesting and receiving Nebraska’s Livestock Friendly County designation, the people of Buffalo County are encouraging livestock growth.  They’re also showing strong support for Nebraska agriculture—our state’s top industry,” said Ricketts.

According to a recent census from the U.S. Department of Agriculture, Buffalo County had more than $332 million in total market value of products sold in 2017.

Livestock, poultry and other animal product made up 48% of the total value. The other 52 percent came from crop production.

“With the LFC designation, the people of Buffalo County are showing everyone that they are open for agri-business,” said NDA Director Steve Wellman.

Categories: Nebraska News, News