Faulty electrical cord caused $140,000 in damage to Lincoln home

LINCOLN, Neb. (KLKN) – A faulty electrical cord sparked the blaze that caused $140,000 in damage at a Lincoln house on Friday.

The fire began around 4:20 p.m. at the single-story house near 36th Street and St. Paul Avenue, just north of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln’s East Campus.

Strong winds helped spread the fire, according to Lincoln Fire & Rescue spokeswoman Nancy Crist.

Fire Inspector Chris Crocker says the fire started in the basement due to a faulty electrical cord, which led to a detached garage in the backyard.

The flames caused an estimated $75,000 in damage to the structure, Crist said.  Another $50,000 in damage was done to the home’s contents.

The garage had about $15,000 in damage, according to Crist.

SEE ALSO: Fire crews battle flames in strong winds at Lincoln home

Categories: Lancaster, News