First case of Coronavirus confirmed in Nebraska

The patient is a 36-year-old female from Omaha who had traveled to the United Kingdom, officials said.
Corona Ne Map

Officials say the first case of Coronavirus has been confirmed in Nebraska.

Lincoln Mayor Leirion Gaylor Baird made the announcement during a press conference discussing the city’s response to the disease, shortly after she had said no cases had been confirmed.

Minutes later, Gaylor Baird said Governor Pete Ricketts and health officials made the announcement minutes before in Omaha.

The patient is a 36-year-old female from Omaha who had traveled to the United Kingdom, officials said. They say she had been in close contact with her father, but are unsure if anyone else was exposed. They are now searching for other people she may have come in contact with.

Officials say Friday is day 12 of her respiratory illness.

On Thursday, she checked into the emergency room at Methodist Hospital in Omaha. They immediately tested her for COVID-19 and results came back positive on Friday.

She has now been taken to UNMC’s Biocontainment Unit. According to officials, she is seriously ill.

This is a breaking news story; we will provide updates as they become available. 

Categories: Health, Nebraska News, News, Top Stories