Mayor says mask mandate to be extended through September

LINCOLN, Neb. (KLKN) — Friday, Mayor Leirion Gaylor Baird has announced the extension of the current mask mandate to Sept. 30.

This follows a recent increase in the COVID-19 Risk Dial, from moderate, or ‘yellow,’ to high, or ‘orange.’

“With our data moving us back to the high risk level of our Dial, with schools back in session, and with activities and events increasing, we must remain committed to wearing masks, washing our hands, and staying at least six feet away from others if we want to keep making forward progress,” said Mayor Gaylor Baird.

The Lincoln-Lancaster County Health Director Pat Lopez also stated the weekly positive rates have been steadily going down, until last week. Health Director Lopez said, so far, this week saw 251 positive cases, 114 of which are related to the University of Nebraska- Lincoln who recently quarantined three on-campus sororities.

Health Director Pat Lopez said contact tracing and investigation have not confirmed any in-school transmission at the K through 12 levels.  Also, no in-classroom transmissions on college campuses have been confirmed.

“What this data tells us is that our educational institutions are doing a great job with the prevention strategies they have implemented in the classroom settings,” Health Director Lopez said.  “Their prevention efforts are similar to all of the mitigation efforts that have been implemented by our businesses and large worksites.  The bottom line is that we are not finding large clusters of cases from exposure in classrooms and in the workplace. We are finding transmission with all of the activities outside of school and work.”

Friday, 75 confirmed COVID-19 cases were reported, raising the total number to 3,875. Just under 50 percent of those people have recovered.

For a full list of the current Directed Health Measures, click here.

Categories: Coronavirus, Lancaster, Top Stories