Nebraska community seeing a sudden rise in calls for carbon monoxide poisoning

LINCOLN, Neb. (KLKN) — The Grand Island Fire Department says it’s seen a sudden increase in calls about carbon monoxide poisoning.

We’re told the uptick first began about two weeks ago.

Officials say while residents typically have smoke alarms in their homes, CO detectors tend to be overlooked.

They’re especially important for anyone who uses gas appliances like a stove, furnace or water heater.

People who have an attached garage are also at higher risk.

GIFD recommends having a CO detector located within 10 feet of every bedroom door.

It also suggests one for the basement and an additional detector for the attached garage.

You can see some examples below.

Categories: Nebraska News, News, Top Stories