Nebraska fire kills 48 cats at home that doubled as shelter

A fire that started in the laundry room took 48 cat lives
CAT CAPITOL BUILDING LINCOLN

CHAPPELL, Neb. (AP) — At least 48 cats have been killed in a fire at a western Nebraska house that doubled as an animal shelter.

The fire last Friday started in the laundry room of Michelle Tynan’s house in Chappell. Tynan is a co-founder of the Nebraska Loves Cats nonprofit.

She says she discovered the dryer was on fire when she awoke to the smell of smoke shortly after midnight.

Tynan said she called 911 and grabbed as many cats as she could as she ran outside. Tynan said first responders wouldn’t let her re-enter the house to rescue more animals.

MORE: LOCAL VACCINE UPDATE: New information on vaccine distribution and FAQs

PLEASE SHARE! 1/31 UPDATE:
STATUS OF CATS AFTER 1/29 FIRE @ NEBRASKA LOVES CATS,
AND MANY WAYS TO HELP 🙏🏻
PLEASE…

Posted by Nebraska Loves Cats on Sunday, January 31, 2021

Categories: Nebraska News, News