Omaha teen pleads not guilty in fatal Memorial Day weekend crash
LINCOLN, Neb. (KLKN) – The man accused in the fatal Memorial Day weekend crash entered a not guilty plea on Tuesday before his first court appearance Wednesday morning, court documents show.
Lincoln Police say 18-year-old KyVell Stark of Omaha was driving under the influence of marijuana when he hit another vehicle at over 90 mph.
The collision on O Street killed Emily Siebenhor, 20, and Edith Hermosillo, 22, and injured 20 bystanders.
Channel 8 reporter Matthew Mittlieder previously spoke to witnesses of the crash who had helped victims bandage their wounds.
The witnesses waited outside of a Lincoln courthouse in July to find that Stark had waived his right to a preliminary hearing.
Stark is being charged with two counts of manslaughter and two counts of DUI with a cause of serious bodily injury.
His future court dates have not been announced.
Lincoln Police Chief Teresa Ewins said after the crash that the police department is monitoring Lincoln streets and may make changes in the coming years to reduce collisions.
“People need to slow down, they need to slow down,” Ewins said. “We have issues in general in regards to collisions in Lincoln. The city is very serious about addressing it and getting down to a better plan.”
There have been several crashes on O Street this summer, some of them fatal.