One year later, Ryan Larsen is still missing, and authorities are puzzled

LINCOLN, Neb. (KLKN) — The La Vista community still has no answers on where 12-year-old Ryan Larsen went a year ago Tuesday.

Officials are calling the case mindboggling, but the search continues.

On Tuesday, law enforcement were back at Walnut Creek Lake and Recreation Area, searching the waters.

They used new sonar equipment and an underwater drone. Authorities say the muck has cleared up since last year, so they got a better look but still didn’t find anything.

Cadaver dogs picked up on something, which means that there is evidence of decay in the water, but police don’t know what that decay is.

La Vista Police Chief Bob Lausten thinks that someone knows more about Ryan’s disappearance than they are telling.

“We have a couple theories; we haven’t locked ourselves or pigeonholed ourselves to one specific theory of what we believe happened,” he said. “We don’t have blinders on so there is different avenues that we’re still going down. I believe he’s in this area somewhere, I do. Where, I don’t know.”

Officials are waiting on subpoena requests, search warrants and digital evidence. In the meantime, they need tips, Lausten said, because even federal authorities are struggling with the case.

The community asked people to wear green ribbons to commemorate the anniversary.

Categories: Nebraska News, News, Top Stories