Outlet overload blamed for house fire that left $175,000 in damage

LINCOLN, Neb. (KLKN) – An overloaded outlet and space heater are pointed to as the reason for a Sunday house fire that left $175,000 in damage, Lincoln Fire and Rescue said.

Around 6:00 a.m., crews responded to a single-story house near A and 40th Streets on reports of a kitchen fire.

The department says smoke and “fire conditions” persisted after the fire was extinguished.

During a search of the home, responders found an additional fire in the basement which was then extinguished.

The department says it took them longer to extinguish the fire because objects and clutter made it hard to navigate the home, the department’s public information officer, Nancy Crist, said.

Inspectors determined that the cause of the fire was an overloaded outlet that also had a space heater plugged into it.

A total of $175,000 was done in damage to the home and its contents.

The family had two pet cats, one of which was pulled out by fire crews.  The other is still missing.

 

Categories: Lancaster, News