Spring Football Preview: Frost, Huskers excited to open practice on Tuesday
The Huskers will have 15 practices between now and May 1 when they will finish up with the Red-White Spring Game at 1:00 p.m. at Memorial Stadium.
LINCOLN, Neb. (KLKN) — After a spring season that was canceled due to the coronavirus pandemic, the Nebraska football team opens practice on Tuesday. The Huskers will have 15 practices between now and May 1 when they will finish up with the Red-White Spring Game at 1:00 p.m. at Memorial Stadium.
“I’m just excited to have spring ball again,” said head coach Scott Frost.
Despite the excitement surrounding the open of practice, Frost was asked many questions about the controversy surrounding the Huskers upcoming game with Oklahoma. There were rumors Nebraska was trying to avoid the game in order to add an extra game at Memorial Stadium before athletic director Bill Moos said the Big Red were fully committed to playing at Oklahoma this season.
“I think the whole narrative and conversation started on ways to fix the budget windfalls that we’ve had,” Frost said. “There’s some schools that have cut sports and cut salaries and done a lot of other things. And I give Bill (Moos, NU athletic director) a lot of credit. He was committed to keeping everything intact and giving our student-athletes opportunities in every sport, men and women. So I think the conversation was started to get more revenue to the University.
“Our kids want to play it. When they heard the news (that the game might be canceled), our leadership group called a meeting and wanted me there to make sure they had an opportunity to play against one of the best teams in the country.”
Nebraska and Oklahoma are set to pay on Sept. 18 this season.
Other notes from Frost’s media availability:
- Outside linebackers coach Mike Dawson will takeover running the special teams
- Frost said the Huskers will start releasing offseason testing again, a staple of the Tom Osborne era.
- Frost is thrilled to be able to have fans attend the Red-White Spring Game on May 1. “I just missed the fans.”
- Focused on physicality and fundamentals this spring practice period.
- Frost says Huskers will work on physicality, fundamentals during spring:
- JoJo Domann embracing extra senior season in Lincoln:
- Huskers excited for fans to return to Memorial Stadium:
- Nebraska releases offseason testing numbers: