Surfside death toll climbs to 78 after 14 more victims recovered

Miami-Dade Mayor Daniella Levine Cava announced 14 more victims had been recovered from the rubble. 
Rescue workers dig through debris at the Surfside condo collapse

LINCOLN, Neb. (KLKN) — The death toll in the Surfside, Fla. condo collapse rose to 78 Friday, officials said.

Miami-Dade Mayor Daniella Levine Cava announced 14 more victims had been recovered from the rubble.

Rescue teams paused for a short time Thursday to mark the two-week anniversary of the collapse.

Dozens remain unaccounted for.

Brad Thavenet with Nebraska Task Force 1 has been at the collapse site assisting with rescue and recovery efforts.

He says more than 7,000 tons of debris has been moved from the pile.

“It’s almost like pulverized rocks, like boulders, very few bigger pieces of concrete,” he said. “The most challenging is the rebar. I would comp it as a giant bowl full of spaghetti. You have twisted mangled rebar that is about an inch and a half around that you are trying to just cut.”

Thavenet met with families as they paid tributes to those lost.

“Last night… we had a 93-second stop that is a memorial for all those individuals that passed,” he said.

SEE ALSO: Lincoln responder helps in recovery efforts at Surfside collapse

 

Categories: News, Top Stories, US & World