VIDEO: LFR responds to Christmas morning fire in south Lincoln home

A family of 9 was forced out of their home on Christmas morning after a chimney fire spread to the attic.

LINCOLN, Neb. (KLKN) – Christmas morning celebrations quickly ended for one Lincoln family after a fire broke out in their home around 11.

Lincoln Fire and Rescue responded to the south Lincoln home to find a chimney fire had spread to the attic of the home, forcing the family to evacuate while crews put water on the fire as well as cut holes in the roof.

“We had a call about 11:11 for a fire in a structure at a residence, people inside say it was coming from the chimney area, first arriving crews arrived fairly quickly and saw it was a chimney fire, quickly put water on the fire, at this point we are overhauling, as it got into the attic a little bit,” says Battalion Chief Lloyd Mueller. “Just trying to eliminate all the hot spots and be sure we don’t have a rekindle here.”

Mueller says thankfully, there were no injuries, but the nine people inside the home are working with the American Red Cross to be relocated. Mueller also says damage to the home was contained to the chimney and roof, but a total damage amount has not been given yet.

“We know its cold out, people are starting to start up chimneys, know their houses are getting cold, so take precaution, make sure your smoke detectors are working, CO detectors are working, and take the time as we go through these holiday seasons to make sure your family is safe,” Mueller says.

Categories: Lancaster, Nebraska News, News, Top Stories