Roof collapses at Lincoln home after fire burns through attic

UPDATE, 6:10 a.m. — Crews have finally cleared the scene following Monday morning’s house fire near Northwest 8th Street and Westward Road.

They were battling the blaze and monitoring hot spots for about three hours.

Piles of foam remain the area, and caution tape surrounds the home after its roof collapsed from the fire.

LINCOLN, Neb. (KLKN) — Lincoln Fire & Rescue says a blaze that started in a garage early Monday morning quickly spread through a home’s attic, causing the roof to collapse.

This all happened near Northwest 8th Street and Westward Road, beginning a little after 2:30 a.m.

LFR says the garage was already fully involved when more than a dozen units arrived.

They began searching for anyone inside, and then the roof began collapsing, forcing them to fight the flames from the outside.

Both of the people staying in the home got out safely before firefighters arrived, along with a dog.

LFR was able to rescue a cat, which had no injuries.

Authorities say this fire was caused by an electrical outlet.

There is an estimated $200,000 worth of damage to the property and $50,000 to contents.

The Red Cross is assisting the people who’ve been displaced until further notice.

There is also extensive smoke and water damage throughout what remains of the home.

Categories: Breaking News, Lancaster, News, Top Stories