South Lincoln apartment evacuated after car seat on stove catches fire

LINCOLN, Neb. (KLKN) – Several fire crews helped extinguish flames at a south Lincoln apartment Friday morning.

Lincoln Fire & Rescue crews arrived at the apartment near 17th and Burnham Streets just after 11 a.m.

When crews arrived, they saw smoke coming out of the 2nd floor of the apartment, according to LFR spokeswoman Nancy Crist.

Residents had already evacuated the building by the time crews arrived.

A car seat was the cause of the fire, according to Crist.

It had been sitting on top of the stove when the burner was accidentally turned on.

The fire did not spread to any other apartments, Crist said.  Five people will have to be relocated, but nobody was injured.

Crist says the blaze caused about $75,000 in damages.

SEE ALSO: Malfunctioning scooter causes $60,000 in damage to Lincoln garage

Categories: Lancaster, News