COVID cases declining, while hospitalizations remain high, officials say

The risk dial remains in the mid-orange, a high risk of COVID-19 spread in the community. 
COVID

LINCOLN, Neb. (KLKN) – As COVID-19 hospitalizations remain high and capacity is still limited, officials say case numbers are down 29% in Lancaster County since the end of August.

We went from 140 cases on August 30th, down to 99 cases as of last week.

The Lincoln-Lancaster County Health Department is also seeing a slow decline in the positivity rate.

Health Director Pat Lopez says this is encouraging but the threat is still there.

The Delta variant continues to cause hospitals to be pushed to their limits.

11 people have now died from COVID-19 so far in September, including another death Tuesday, a person in their 20’s.

“We’re encouraged by the reduction in the number of new cases but our hospital capacity remains critical,” Lopez said. “We need to keep our efforts to get all of our numbers moving in the right direction.”

The risk dial remains in the mid-orange, a high risk of COVID-19 spread in the community.

Lancaster County still has another week left until the mask mandate is set to expire on September 30th.

Lopez says they’re evaluating trends to decide on if that mask mandate will expire or be extended.

Categories: Lancaster, Nebraska News, News