UPDATE: Deadly house fire in Lancaster County under investigation

One person was killed in the overnight blaze.
Fire Pic

LINCOLN, Neb. (KLKN) –  According to Sheriff Terry Wagner, at approximately 10:39 pm 911 Communications Center received a call of a house fire at 18201 N.W. 84.

Upon arrival, the home was actively burning.  The 911 caller, believed to be the homeowner could not be located.

During their search, Raymond and Malcolm Fire Departments discovered a body in the house during the fire suppression efforts, along with two dogs who were rescued.

Using dental records, the deceased has been identified as Gerald F. Socha, age 70, the resident and 911 caller.

According to an autopsy conducted, the cause of death was smoke inhalation and burns.

The two dogs suffered minor smoke inhalation and were turned over to the Capital Humane Society until Mr. Socha’s next of kin can take custody of the dogs.

The State Fire Marshal has determined the cause of the fire to be faulty electrical components.


LINCOLN, Neb. (KLKN) – UPDATE: Sheriff Terry Wagner confirmed more details on the overnight house fire that left one dead.

Wagner says a man reported to 911 dispatch that his attic was on fire. Wagner says the caller believed the fire started due to an electrical issue but officials have not yet confirmed that yet.

Fire crews arrived and could not find anyone near the premises of the burning house. By the time fire crews arrived at the house, the east side of the house was fully engulfed in flames.

Shortly after, fire crews found a deceased body inside the residence. The identification of the deceased body has not been confirmed yet. Wagner says the building had $300,000 worth of damages. Fire crews rescued two dogs and transported them to the Humane Society.

Wagner says the deceased man could be the caller but officials have not confirmed that yet.

This is a developing story, stick with Channel 8 for any updates. 


LINCOLN, Neb. (KLKN) – The Lancaster County Sheriff’s office tells Channel 8 one person died in a house fire late Monday night.

Crews arrived around 10:30 p.m. at the home just north of Raymond, near 84th and Davey.

Right now it’s not clear how that person was killed, but officials do believe the fire was started by accident.

An autopsy has been ordered and we’re expecting to learn more later this morning.

3 different agencies were brought in to help put this blaze out including crews from Raymond, Valparaiso, and Malcolm.

The State Fire Marshal is also being brought in to investigate.

Crews tell us they were on the scene until about 4:30 this morning.

This is a developing story, stick with Channel 8 for any updates. 



Categories: Breaking News, Lancaster, Nebraska News, News, Top Stories