‘Like something was bombed’: Home explosion leaves two dead, two hospitalized

OMAHA, Neb. (KMTV) — A home explosion in Omaha left two dead and two others hospitalized in critical condition, reports authorities.

One dog was also found dead at the scene.

Following the fatal explosion at 4810 S 51st St., it was discovered that the homeowner, 74-year-old Theresa Toledo filed a petition for a domestic abuse protection order against 28-year-old Alexander Toledo. She was Alexander’s grandmother.

Theresa and her daughter Angela Miller both died in the fire.

Related Content: UPDATE: One dead, two critically injured following home explosion

According to the Omaha World Herald, Alexander and another person who lived in the home suffered critical injuries. They are being treated at the University of Nebraska Medicine.

In the petition, Theresa wrote, “Alex is on meth, mushrooms that I’m aware of, I haven’t been able to see my grandchildren since summer because they are afraid of him as he talks to himself and says his stepfather is in his head, which is not true… he has put holes in the basement walls where he stays and you can’t even walk in the basement. He has electronics in the walls & ceiling. I’m afraid he will start my house on fire.”

Theresa included Alexander’s alleged criminal history with narcotic.

She concluded the petition by writing, “I need Alex out of my house now before he destroys my house or harms me, the drugs make him crazy.”

According to Omaha Fire Department Battalion Chief Scott Fitzpatrick, crews arrived on the scene at 8:15 a.m. with a second alarm called at 8:23 a.m. The entire block was initially evacuated before authorities determined there was no threat. Surrounding residents were able to return to their homes a few hours later.

The house that exploded was completely leveled by the blast and determined a complete loss. At least two neighboring homes also suffered extensive fire damage.

Neighbors described the scene as horrifying, that it sounded like a bomb went off.

“I heard a very loud explosion. It sounded almost like something was bombed and I flew out of the house,” said neighbor Marianne Distefano. “When I got outside I could see the house was on fire and someone was running down the hill and saying to call 911.”

By the time fire rescue arrived, the house was engulfed in flames.

“It was horrible. I mean it was just in flames and after that, smoke, but you could see it was bad. It looked like someone had bombed the house,” Distefano said.

Distefano saw one neighbor jump to action.

“I heard something fall, it sounded like something fell on our house, I thought it was a tree or whatever so I came out front, angry, and I looked down the street and saw flames coming and I automatically just started running,” neighbor Jeff Mell said.

He and another nearby resident wrapped a man in blankets and helped him to a safer area.

Fire investigators are investigating the cause of the explosion.

“There are so many variables to tell right now, that’s why we have to investigate and kind of piece it together to see exactly what it was that made that house explode. As you can see, the explosion was pretty big,” said Fitzpatrick.

Drivers and pedestrians are asked to avoid the area of 51st and “L” Streets as the fire department says it will be a lengthy investigation.

This is a developing story and we’ll keep you updated as new details become available.

Read related court documents filed on Monday below.

Protection order filing

Court order

Categories: Nebraska News, News, Top Stories